Thursday, September 25, 2008

The pinch me moment: Ana Castillo reads at Tianguis















I had been preparing for last Friday night's reading for about a month--I was going through the motions at a pace that didn't allow me to really reflect on what was going to happen--but then Ana Castillo walked through our front door and that's when it really sunk in. Ana Castillo was reading at Tianguis! It was like when that special tia or the long lost cousin comes to visit and everyone gathers to anxiously wait and welcome their arrival. There was an energetic buzz that began building up in the store in the hours leading up to the reading because it was an honor, for me, my store and my customers to have an opportunity to share in such an intimate setting with a very talented writer--we all accepted the gift gratefully.

Ana read from her new book The Guardians, now out on paperback, and shared a poem from her poetry collection I ask the Impossible. There was a brief Q&A before folks lined up for the booksigning and picture taking.















A great big shout-out and thank you to all the wonderful folks that helped (behind-the-scenes) to make the evening a great success: Amanda Torres, Cristina Correa, Diana Pando, Liza Ann Acosta, Jenny Priego, Yolanda Cardenas, Isabel Garcia, Ellen Wadey, Radio Arte/Yollocalli Studios (for the use of their lovely red folding chairs) and to everyone who joined us. Look for more pictures of the evening on our myspace photo albums.

You can log on to Ana's blog to check out video from that evening that she has also posted.

No comments: