Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Turning three and giving thanks


















I have the nicest customers and neighbors. They look out for me. On days when I absentmindedly forget to turn on the open sign, I sometimes get a friendly call from my neighbors across the street to alert me. Last spring five customers and friends pitched in to treat me to a spa day. I've been given some more random things like a pine tree (that now resides in our back yard) and a usb full of music to play in the store. Oh, and our used book shelf (yes we have used books now) was started by very generous customer donations.

These acts of kindness always surprise and move me and leave me feeling all mushy and giddy and chocked up.

With that said, I want to share the following: A couple of Saturdays back Natalie, a neighbor that lives a few houses away and is a florist brought me flowers just because. I was touched and then she continued to surprise me with some very encouraging words, "Thank you for what you do."

Later that same day, Mari called me. She brought me tacos for lunch from La Internacional on 45th and Ashland. That lunch hit the spot. Yum. Go check out what her father's taqueria y carniceria has been doing so well for many, many years.

And if the universe had not indulged me enough, a few days later when I logged online I found a one line message from one of my favorite writers, "Thank you for all you do."

All unexpected gestures of kindness that humbled and filled up my soul with the good stuff. And now its my turn to send out a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to all the people that have supported my venture and vision: Tianguis turns three this October!

No comments: