Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Healing through Novelas

Nothing like the word novela to pique my interest: I love to read them and watch them. Naturally its what caught my eye when I first heard about the radio and teatro novelas that Latinos Progresando and Radio Arte are working for their project SALUD, healing through the arts showcase. Some folks working on this project were in the store today and I got to hear snippets of the music that is part of the production, it was a pretty original and diverse selection. So, I'm definitely making plans to attend--that and I've seen Ricardo Gamboa's work before and I can't wait to see what he's whipping up this time around. Its this Friday, details below...

UPDATE:

I'm copying and pasting a portion of Ricky Gamboa's note on facebook, because I think he describes this Friday's production best...


"Since June 30, I have worked with 22 youth under the auspices of Teatro Americano of Latinos Progresando to create the premiere of a telenovela for the stage--a teatronovela--complete with commercials.

I brought my protege, Steven Beaudion, to the Monkeys and I kept him on my street team as my co-instructor and got Sadie Woods--if you know anything about nightlife beyond kiddie crack deejays at a billy dec club, you should know about her--she is deejaying all original compositions for the show.

The show is truly amazing and I cannot begin to even tell you the journey that me and these young people have been through, or at least not until the talkbalk. But I will tell you, there is acting talent on that stage from young people that rivals some of the most notable performers in the city and guest appearances from a doped up Hannah Montana and the debut of Border Runner Kicks--"the shoes to give immigrants a step up on border patrol." And like in all telenovelas: You will laugh. You will cry. You will want more. Seriously, its like going to see an awesome play in the city except actually relevant."

********************


SALUD
Healing Through the Arts Showcase

Friday, August 15th, 2008
5 p.m.-8 p.m.

Held at National Museum of Mexican Art, 1852 W 19th Street
Chicago, Illinois 60608

Forty of SALUD's vibrant and enthusiastic youth performers will showcase weeks of preparation and collaboration with original radionovelas and teatronovelas about immigration, health, and where the two topics converge. This free event will take place at the National Museum of Mexican Art on Friday, August 15th. Museum galleries and information booths hosted by local health- and youth-focused organizations will be open prior to the performance from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm. Food and beverages will be provided.

Please contact Melissa Gonzalez at 312.850.0572 or melissa@latinospro.org with any questions or concerns.

No comments: